The Fords in New Zealand

We are Chris, Vanessa, Shannon and Alex Ford. We decided some time ago that we wanted to live in a country where the main emphasis was on family and free time rather than the 'live to work' ethos of the UK. We chose New Zealand for this, and many other many reasons. After months of research we decided to settle in the Christchurch area. Our journey begins!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

School trip



Tuesday 1 November; School trip to Kairaki Beach.

I'd volunteered to help with Alex's school trip. Kairaki Beach is only down the road, perhaps 5 km from Kaiapoi. We don't normally go there unless I particularly want to drive on the beach as access at Pines Beach is nearer and there's no whitebait fishermen for Diesel to bother.

Arrive at school at 10.20am, not knowing what awaits me. I've got to lead a group around all day, including Alex, Haylem, Scott and Mikayla. There's four places to visit to see things, collect things etc; the forest, the lagoon, the beach and the dunes. Its hard work trying to not lose anyone, prevent any gouged eyes from the sticks they insist on picking up, prevent straggling or running off.

Haylem look a bit like Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, and is a similar character. Scott is very opinionated and talkative. Mikayla seeks a bit of attention and we hold hands most of the day. Alex is Alex, and he gets the hump 'cos Mikayla gets to sit next to me on the coach. I muddled my way through the tasks, e.g. marron grass in the dunes is a dead giveaway, but I didn't know what lupins looked like? But I think I managed to blag my way with these youngters and give the impression I knew more than I did!

Anyway, I got a nice card from the kids.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely uniforms...I bet you didnt let on to the kids about them!

Missing you all very much, checking out the pictures on the site, there are more of us wanting to come out there!

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home