The Fords in New Zealand

We are Chris, Vanessa, Shannon and Alex Ford. We decided some time ago that we wanted to live in a country where the main emphasis was on family and free time rather than the 'live to work' ethos of the UK. We chose New Zealand for this, and many other many reasons. After months of research we decided to settle in the Christchurch area. Our journey begins!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Multiple pile up!!


I'd had a productive day. Vanessa was at work by the time C, S & A get up, so I organise us all and we're in time to go to the park on the way to school and Diesel gets a run too. Drop them at school, and I stop by Kaiapoi Aquatic Centre and swim a mile (or 1.6 clicks here).

Morning spent clearing up, browse the paper and then into Chch to buy a lawnmower. Return with a petrol jobby as most here seem to do, plus some extra irragation system as one bit ends in an open pipe and it needs more hose and sprays to finish it off. V picks up kids and I meet them at home. Assemble lawnmower, mow lawn and get ready to suss out the irrigation pipe.

Meanwhile Alex is playing out the front with Fraser (next door) and Cameron (next door but one). I'm walking into my garage (did I mention it was a double and had an automatic door!) and see Alex on one of the kids' scooters chasing Fraser on a pushbike and being chased by Cameron on his bike. Before I'd even unwrapped my new irrigation kit I hear this almighty melee of kids screaming. I rush out of the garage and Alex is running up the driveway with blood pouring out of his forehead. I rush him indoors for V to clean him up while I check on the others (none the worse for wear, just shocked) and to find out where to take Alex to get patched up, its a bit deeper than our first aid kit can manage. We've got to go all the way into Chch, he's calmed down a bit by now so we all bundle into the truck and drive 20 minutes to the 24 hour surgery.

It seems that Fraser had braked, Alex on his scooter didn't have brakes and crashed into Fraser. Cameron then crashed into Alex. In the mayhem the scooter struck and split Alex's eyebrow and he grazed a knee. The eyebrow was the source of spilled claret and needed 5 stitches, of which Alex is very proud. He'll have a nice scar to match the one he did on his chin in Wales just before we left. According to the nice doctor Jonah Lomu used to shave the number 11 into his brow, Alex will now have a No.1 eyebrow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be nasty, but in that photo Alex looks a bit like Chucky the evil doll. Actually, with that big mars bar above his eye, he looks like the cut up version of Chucky from Bride of Chucky.

5:01 am  
Blogger The Ford Family said...

Ha ha, we thought so too.

9:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home