The Fords in New Zealand

We are Chris, Vanessa, Shannon and Alex Ford. We decided some time ago that we wanted to live in a country where the main emphasis was on family and free time rather than the 'live to work' ethos of the UK. We chose New Zealand for this, and many other many reasons. After months of research we decided to settle in the Christchurch area. Our journey begins!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Black, black, blaaaaccckkkk

Thursday 12 January 2006; “Black, black, blaaaaccckkkk!!! You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins! My eyes… my eyes are pies and yours are lies! Black, black, crawl on your hands and knees to impending doom!”


When we went to the NZ expo we were told we would live like Kings, surveyors were in such demand. We checked; well, they were on the skills shortage list in EVERY region, I talked to three Chch agencies all of whom talked up the opportunities, I contacted 2 professional institutions who said the same, and I spoke with many people here who said I wouldn't have a problem finding work. I also checked the internet. 6, 9 and 12 months ago there were LOADS of jobs listed. So where the f#$k are they now?

4 months in and I've had 3 weeks work. That's 1/9th of what I earnt in the UK, $ for £. And three days of that I haven't been paid, the bastard went on holiday. That's the problem; nowhere did I or Vanessa read that January is a 'grand vacances', for NZ. ALL of the people I've worked for and ALL off the potential contacts I had for new work are on holiday till the end of the month. So we came off holiday on the 2nd, and I can't talk to anyone about potential opportunities for weeks, it's maddenning!

The maddenning void had led me into a desperate pit of depression. Alcohol induced sleep is not restful, but an attempt to abstain had meant the last 2 nights with only 2 or 3 hours sleep. No work means drain on our resources, and the fear is to be stuck here, without prospects and without the means to return.

So we had the estate agent around this afternoon to re-market the house. Some of you have had an email that were coming back. The act of putting the house on the market has been a huge positive step for me, by just to be able to do something! And positive action has enabled me to shake off the depression that has hit me particularly hard, but it has taken all of today to realise the implications and to actually think straight for the first time in over a week. We cannot go on indefinately eating into our funds, and putting the house on the market is a reaction to that. IF something happens to reconsider selling the house then we'll have to consider that if and when it happens.

But for now the plan is to sell and return. Que, sera ,sera.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tao said...

Aww!
Shame!

I enjoyed reading this blog too!

12:20 am  
Blogger bigfootcookie said...

Sorry to hear it's all looking a bit pear shaped.

What you need is a severe storm on the coast, so that emergency surveyors are required, and you are the only one that is not on holiday, and available.

That'd learn 'em.

1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home